On May 28 the British Library hosted a workshop by the London Borough of Camden to launch the 3rd round of their Innovation & Development Fund. This fund is being used to source innovative ideas from individuals and organisations in the local community to social problems within the borough. This fund will provide up to £50,000 of funding to successful projects to be delivered between January 2014 and June 2015. The theme of this call is ‘Building Resilience‘ and resilience is described as:
- Empowering people to help themselves
- Developing communities that look out for each other
- Understanding risks and challenges
- Adapting to change and uncertainty
- Understanding your assets
- Feeling like you have the means/ skills/ assets/ connections to change something.
This is a great example of how open innovation can be used to unlock creativity and find innovative ideas but also how the process of launching the fund itself will help to create partnerships.
The event on 28 May was attended by 31 delegates, many from the voluntary sector, and they were all given a presentation on the Open Innovation Project. Another workshop is being held at the British Library on 3 June and is fully subscribed.